Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Asiago Bisque



http://www.chef-in-training.com/2015/03/asiago-bisque/

Photo and recipe from Nikki at Chef in Training



My cousin Julie sent me this recipe last week and we couldn't wait to try it! It quickly moved to the top of our list.

I wanted to use fresh asiago cheese, so we picked it up on a trip to Kroger which is about an hour away. Man, I wish we had a Kroger here in Arkadelphia. Don't get me wrong, I love Brookshires! But something about all the fresh food that Kroger offers just makes me want to move in. We also don't make a trip to Kroger without Elizabeth getting fresh sushi for lunch. Talk about a princess!

We started prepping for the soup by chop, chop, chopping all the veggies. My potato peeler broke last time I used it, so I had to use a knife to peel them,  like a commoner. Channeling my inner Caroline Ingalls, as it were.

Elizabeth was quite concerned that this recipe had wine as an ingredient. So we had a bit of a chemistry lesson. I explained that most of the actual alcohol evaporates, and there might be a miniscule amount left, but nothing of concern.

While cooking, this soup smells delicious.

I do not have an immersion blender, so I used a regular blender, which I admit is pretty redneck. Que Sera! It did blend a little smoother than what I wanted, I wish I had reserved some chunks for texture.

This is another soup that the kids really liked, and the adults were pretty unimpressed. Elizabeth took it the next two days for lunch and said it actually tasted better each time.

Scoring:

Marty: 5 - There seems to be a bit of a bitter undertone, and the soup is quite bland. In all honestly, the bacon is the star of this show.

(I think maybe he has been watching too much Food Network.)

Natalie: 5- Meh. It is very bland. Reminds me a bit of baby food.

Elizabeth: 7 - (and then an 8 the next two days) It's really good! You can really taste the cheese and the soup is very filling.

Colby: 7 - I really like it. I also like the bacon.

1 comment:

  1. So I guess that is ok. That's not a bad score. Is there anything you would have added or subtracted?

    ReplyDelete