Saturday, April 16, 2016

Soup Battle, Part 1 - Cream of Mushroom Soup




Photo and recipe courtesy of Chungah at DamnDelicious
http://damndelicious.net/2014/05/10/cream-mushroom-soup/

There have been a handful of soups that Elizabeth and I have very different opinions on making... and we keep vetoing each other when these specific soups come up. However, we had a very busy weekend last weekend and then nothing to do on Sunday and sister came up with the suggestion that I make a soup she doesn't want to eat, and she make a soup that I don't want to eat, and then we make everyone try both.

She HATES mushrooms. I do not understand this because I will eat mushrooms on almost anything. I used to eat the Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup from the can when I was in college. And my sweet husband will always throw a packet of mushrooms on the grill when he is making chicken or burgers.

So I was excited to make this soup and Elizabeth was decidedly UN-Excited.

This was super easy to make, and smelled so good. My only issue is that I could NOT get it to thicken. I made the cornstarch and water mixture three different times and it still would not thicken. But honestly, I liked it soupy. I ate it for lunch three days and then froze the rest in 10oz containers for recipes later.

Also, Colby HATES mushrooms too. I wanted him to give it a chance, so I didn't tell him what kind it was, and gave him a blind taste test. That went well. NOT.

Scoring:

Marty: I give it a 6.5... it does need to be a little thicker, but the flavor is good.
Elizabeth: 3. GAG.
Colby: Blind- I give it a 5. It tastes weird. / Reveal the Soup - GROSS!! A TWO!! I give it a TWO!!!
Me: 7 - Yummy! I am the best cook ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment