Saturday, April 16, 2016

Soup Battle, Part 2 - Buffalo Chicken Soup

Photo and recipe from Susan at:

http://doughmesstic.com/2015/02/05/buffalo-chicken-souplow-carb/

Buffalo Chicken Soup was Elizabeth's choice for Soup Battle. She loves all kinds of Buffalo Chicken, and is obsessed with Blue Cheese Dressing.

I have never been a fan of wings, buffalo chicken, blue cheese or anything related to such. However, I have tried to make things that the kids like over the years, even if I wasn't a fan.

About three years ago, I made Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Sliders... I ate one, wasn't impressed. Kids loved them. That night, the worst stomach virus ever hit me. I was so sick. I won't go into detail, but it was SO NOT GOOD. The smell of buffalo chicken was EVERYWHERE. In my house, in my nose, in my brain.

So as soon as Elizabeth started making this soup, and the smell started permeating the house,  I started having flashbacks. My stomach was staging a revolt against the soup immediately.

Another thing... this soup calls for a rotisserie chicken. Super easy, right?

Confession: I have never de-boned a chicken. Cooked nor raw. I sent my mother a photo and was all, "GUESS WHAT I AM DOING??" Like I was running the NYC marathon or developing cancer vaccines or something.

I have always had a weird thing about food with bones. It just grosses me out. If Marty had known this from the beginning, it is safe to say he would not have married me. As I don't do boney food, I never made it for the kids either. One of the Famous Family Stories is the time my aunt gave 3 year old Elizabeth a chicken leg and she tried to eat it like a corn dog, from the top... and then says, "I can't eat this chicken, it has a STICK in it." From then on when someone asked if she wanted chicken, she would ask, "Is it the stick kind?" Even NOW, she will tell me that she went to a sleepover or out to eat and "Mom, they gave me stick chicken.." THE HORROR.

Yeah. Marty is ashamed. Horrified and ashamed.

Anyway, so I did a total hatchet job on the chicken. I probably threw out more than I kept because I was trying to make sure there were no veins, or weird spots, or anything too close to the bone...

It occurs to me that maybe I don't need a food blog... I am not quite Alton Brown... LMAO!!!

Once it was all said and done, I was prepared to gag at the soup. And I didn't. It wasn't bad. I ate more than my allotted two bites. Not much more, but more.

Scoring:

Marty: 6.5 - Pretty good!! I actually like this more than I expected
Natalie: 6 - I do not hate it.
Colby: 8 - I really like this soup! I like that it is spicy! (he ate two bowls.)
Elizabeth: 8 - I am the best cook ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment