Monday, January 25, 2016

Zuppa Toscana

http://www.alaskafromscratch.com/2014/10/28/zuppa-toscana-creamy-potato-kale-soup-italian-sausage/

(photo from tsgcookin.com)


Soup #1 - January 15, 2015.
Olive Garden Copycat Zuppa Toscana

This one was sort of a cheat, since we make this often. Dare say, it is one of our favorite soups. (except Marty) But I figured since we were behind in our challenge, this was a good one to start with.

I didn't take my own pictures, but will try to do that in the future, at least of the finished product. My kitchen isn't very pretty so don't expect Pinterest-worthy photos!

The recipe we use is from Alaska From Scratch - linked above. There are several different versions, and even some crock pot versions, but we like this one the best. I do add more red pepper flakes because we like this soup with some heat. Some creamy, beautiful heat. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I also do not peel my potatoes. That's a whole lot of time wasted, because the peel cooks down where it isn't really even noticeable. Just scrub them good and call it a day.

ALSO, I don't put my kale in until the end. About 5 minutes before your soup is finished, and before you put in the cream, put in the kale. Otherwise, to me the kale becomes lost. Almost too stringy and disappears. I like the bites of kale in my soup!

We also serve this soup with fresh garlic bread. And when I say fresh, I mean - buy a loaf of soft French bread from the store, take it home and slice it long ways. Brush on real butter and at least three cloves of garlic you have pushed through the garlic press. Bake in the oven at 350 until it is crispy and smells like you want to lay your face in it and take a nap.

One warning about this soup... It is VERY FILLING. If you eat a bowl and you MUST HAVE MORE, wait about 20 minutes. Otherwise you will do what my friend Jennifer and I did one night... She needed a designated driver from the soup. We were both so full we sat around in pajama pants and moaned for like, three hours.

The scores:

Mom: 9. "I love this soup. I want it to be a person so I can marry it."

Elizabeth: 8. "This is probably my favorite soup. I never want anything else."

Colby: 10. "This is the best soup I have ever had. I love this soup."

Marty: 4 "I don't like Italian sausage. I am making nachos."

6 comments:

  1. I give it and the bread a 10!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you could replace the Italian sausage in this because I don't like that but this looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a food Marty doesn't like? I'm shocked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a food Marty doesn't like? I'm shocked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a big Sausage person,however, I LOVE this soup. I can eat lots of it at the Olive Garden. I have made it at home a few times. One thing I have trouble with is getting enough of the fat out of the sausage. What did you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cook the sausage and then put it in a strainer, over a bowl. (I have a small strainer just for this purpose.) Then I use a spatula to press down on the sausage and squeeze out as much as I can. You can also use paper towels to press down, and soak up the excess. I even do this with hamburger meat.

      Delete